Saturday, December 27, 2008

Usborne's First Pets Series Help Children Learn How to Take Care of Their Pets

My son begged and begged for a Fancy Mouse for Christmas. He is so very lucky that Santa thought he was a such a good boy this year and deserved what he wanted. I always had these cute little mice as pets when I was a kid, so I was all for it. It was my hubby that needed to be talked into it. Too funny.

So once the mouse arrived, my son told me to go get the Usborne book on mice. He just assumes that Usborne has a book on every topic he ever needs - and usually he's right. So I got him out the Hamsters IL book. I know it's not an actual mouse book, but hamsters and mice are similar.

If you're not familiar with Usborne's First Pets Series, these are great books that introduce kids to their first type of pet. The series includes Dogs and Puppies, Cats and Kittens, Hamsters, Gerbils, and Guinea Pigs. They take the kids through steps on how to take care of the pet, from choosing the right pet, to feeding it, to playing with it, to what the pet is trying to tell you by how it is acting. Each book is internet-linked which means you can find a wealth of information on each page topic online at the www.usborne-quicklinks.com site. My son found this video of a hamster being groomed. I can't believe that thing sits so still for that! It must love it.

My son loves his new little critter pet. It's cage has a detachable compartment so my son brings that mouse with him wherever he goes. That's a very loved mouse.

1 comment:

Painter Mommy said...

What a great little pet!

Dawn
@PainterMommy
http://www.paintermommy.com