Saturday, August 10, 2013

Literacy Quotes



I don't know about you, but I love a good quote.  I post quotes around the house, in my car, I even have a Day Book that I have made specifically for all my beloved quotes.  I got that idea from Robert Kennedy.  He always carried a day book with him to put important quotes in.  You can tell a lot about a person by the quotes they cherish.

So what are your favorite quotes about reading?  Here are some of mine ...

“One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.” ~ Carl Sagan


“As long as you have any floor space at all, you have room for books! Just make two stacks of books the same height, place them three or four feet apart, lay a board across them, and repeat. Viola! Bookshelves!
~ Jan Karon

 “There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.” ~ Frank Serafini

"Reading aloud with children is known to be the single most important activity for building the knowledge and skills they will eventually require for learning to read." ~ Marilyn Jager Adams

"So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall." ~ Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

And my all time favorite reading quote:
 
"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents." ~ Emilie Buchwald



 

No comments: